Sunday, April 12, 2009

DELI DELIVERANCE IN EAST BROWARD

It was like hitting the jackpot at the Hard Rock. An Exacta at Gulfstream. I demonstrated my best Mark Gastineau sack-dance for anyone who would watch. So maybe I didn't get that crazy, but don't misunderstand me, I was pumped.

APGG headquarters moved from Coconut Creek to East Fort Lauderdale in November. Since then, we've quested for a a deli. A real deli. A kosher-style, New York deli. I didn't hold out much hope. After all, Westminster Academy and Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church loom large in our neck of US-1, complete with the requisite Red Lobster and Olive Garden post-church options. Today, however, was deliverance. It arrived in the form of Pomperdale's New York Style Deli, located on Commercial Blvd. just west of the Intracoastal Waterway.

Pomperdale's is no frills. Patrons order their food at the deli counter and then grab a table along a long, narrow hallway reminiscent of the cramped quarters of Manhattan. You grab a Dr. Brown's from the beverage cooler, again, self-serve, and then, violia, it's time to collect your meal.

And what a meal. The matzoh ball soup featured a "sinker" ensconced in strong broth, noodles and carrots. Pastrami, Corned Beef and brisket is carved by seniors and with one look you get the sense they've made more than their share of sandwiches. It arrives overstuffed and piping hot. It's plenty lean, but jeez, there's gotta be fat somewhere because it has lots and lots of flavor.

Once upon a time, I was thrilled if my neighborhood had a killer sports bar. Today, the gold standard is a good deli. Am I getting soft? Maybe. But thanks to Pomperdale's, I'm in deli heaven.

No comments: